Friday, February 18, 2005

A tribute to my native place......

For a long time, I wanted to write about my native place. Today, I found sometime to do. So, here it goes….

I’m basically a native of Kerala, popularly known as "God’s Own Country". Hmm, even though I'm from Kerala, I was brought up in a place called Erode in Tamilnadu. Because of my parents' jobs, we were settled in that place. Now that they are retiring, we are planning to go back to our native place. Oh I forgot to mention my native place right? Its a place called Thiruvilwamala in Thrissur(or Trichur) district.
Now that my parents want to return to my native place, am really excited abt that... we've started building our house there and very soon will be moving over there.... Even if I'm working in Bangalore, atleast once every month I'll be going to my native to visit my parents...

Ok, so... whats so great about this place one might ask...
This is what I found in one of the sites when I did a search for my native....

"Kissed by the waves of river Nila, the place is famous for its hill shrine SRI VILWADRINATHA TEMPLE(Sri Rama's Temple).The serene, calm, pollution free surroundings, dissolved in the chilled breeze make the climate salubrious and atomsphere conducive for effective living"

and more in another site......

"Unlike the coastal belt of Kerala which abounds in lagoons and coconut palms, the landscape this side (from Palakkad to Trichur) of the State is dominated by hills, paddy fields and palmyra trees.

Tiruvilwamala is a typical country place, calm, quiet and serene. Standing atop the hill and surveying the picturesque landscape of the place caressed by a soft breeze, one finds oneself perfectly at peace with him and the world.

Tiruvilwamala has an important temple(Sri Vilwadrinatha Temple), consisting of two shrines side by side-one dedicated to Rama and the other to his brother Lakshmana.It is a mountain shrine easily accessible by road on the west side. The eastern side consists of a series of mountains which one has to trek to reach the temple. The place is in Thalapalli Taluk in Trichur District. It is 29 km. from Trichur and 20 km. from Palghat and is well served by frequent bus services.


The main Mahavishnu idol of Sri Vilwadrinatha Temple
Sri Vilwadrinathan

Among the three famous temples dedicated to Sri Rama in Kerala, Tiruvilwamala is the foremost, the image here being self-born. The other two temples are Triprayar near Trichur and Tiruvangad in North Kerala. Similarly there are only a few temples for Lakshmana in India lot alone in Kerala. There is one temple at Vennimala some 8 km. away from Kottayam. But it is not as well known as Tiruvilwamala.

A view of festival with decorated elephants at Vilwadrinatha Temple
Festival

To the north of Tiruvilwamala, about one km away, is the famous Bharata river (Bharatapuzha), the Ganges of Kerala, which adds to the scenic beauty of the place. On the other side of the river is Lakkidi Railway station on the Olavakod-Shornur section of the Southern railway."

These are the facts about Thiruvilwamala...
Apart from the Sri Vilwadrinatha Temple, there is a temple for Bhagavathi(called as Durga mata, Kaali in other states) called Parakkottukavu Devi Temple. This is also very famous.
Every year, a festival called "Thalappoli" happens in our native. Its like the Thrissur Pooram festival.... Lots of elephants will be lined together, lots of celebrations happens... like Kudamaatam (Changing umbrella's which are held by men sitting on the elephants, one person will be holding the deity too... Then, there is the famous Panchavathiyam (music by many instruments... very famous in Kerala...) and poothan and thira, kathakali and to end... lots of vedikettu (fire crackers) too... Its a very famous festival celebrated usually in the Month of May every year...
Every year, during this festival, we have a family gathering and celebrate it together... Its one day when I can see all my uncles, aunts, cousins together in one place... But, nowadays as we(me and my cousins) r all grown and each one is in different place, its very rare to see all of them together.. but, we try to make it to there every year...

Thalappoli at Parakkottukavu Devi Temple
Parakkottukavu Thalappoli

Apart from this, there are lots of other festivals like Ekadeshi which happens in the Malayalam month of Kumbha (February- March). On Ashtami, Navami and Ekadeshi days there is vilakku (festival of lights), niramalas (decoration with flower garlands) and elephant processions... Elaborate feasts used to be hold in the past, which like other temples have been discontinued with the change of times..... On Ekadeshi day hundreds of devotees observe fast and forgo their sleep... They spend their time in temples in prayers & in witnessing a variety of entertainments given freely by famed artistes...

Temple dance forms(Poothan and Thira) at the Festival at Parakkottu Kavu Devi Temple
poothan and thira

Ok now I guess u would've learnt a bit about my native....
Am very eagerly waiting to go there.... The photos uploaded here are again got from some sites... anyway, I'll try to take some snaps the next time I go to my native and upload it in my blog.....
Have a great weekend..... :)

Update: As promised, here are some more snaps of my native...
Click Here

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about Tiruvilwamala. It is my native place too, however I think I have been there, maybe ones. I have a T (T. K. Subra....) in my name. I was born and brought up in Rajasthan and am now settled in the US. I will be going to Tiruvilwamala next month and look forward to getting a feel for the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey T K Subra, glad u liked the post.. one of the aims of this post was to get ppl know more abt the place we belong to.. :)
    Even I was born n brought up outside Kerala, but now my parents decided to settle back in Tiruvilwamala n am happy abt tht.. :)
    Have a nice time @ T'mala next month when u go thr..

    ReplyDelete
  3. njan oru thiruvilwamalakkarananu.prasadinte pictures kandappol santhoshavum pinne sankadavum thonni.valare nannayittundu.njan ippol USilanu.nandi,namaskaram

    ReplyDelete
  4. ITS A BRILLIANT WRITE-UP RELATED TO MY NATIVE PLACE THIRUVILWAMALA.THE PLACE WAS THE HOME OF THE LATE SATIRIST V.K.N. I PRIDE MYSELF IN SAYING THAT I BELONG TO THIRUVILWAMALA.RIGHT NOW I AM PURSUING MY M.B.A at DC SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT AND TECHNOLOGY.I AM LIVING IN A HOSTEL.THIS WRITE UP HELPED ME CHERISH THE MEMORIES RELATED TO MY DEAR THIRUVILWAMALA.THANK U

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey itz nice to hear someone writing about my native place ie Thiruvilwamala (Gods Own Village)...I was born and broughtup in Thiruvilwamala....Am doing my MBA now in Jansons School of Business at Coimbatore and Am away from my house now and seeing this I had an urge to reach there as soon as posibble.So I will be going to my native place tis weekend itself.....So guyzz waat r u waitin for????Come n njoy the spirituality and the beauty of "Gods Own Village" in "Gods Own Country".............

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoyed reading about thiruvilwamala. never been there. but the very name has a very special charm to it and i have always wanted to go there some day. it was nice reading about it in ur post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to visit this site & relive the great times I had as a child, in my native Thiruvilwamala. I was born & brought up till Class VI in this place then moved to mumbai, about 38 years back. Great sacred place.

    thanks for the great photos.

    Shesh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to hear about this blog. I have visited that Thiruvillamalai website as well as Thiruvillamalai itself. (that is how it appears in my initial). Glad to note that your parents are moving there.
    -T.S.Mahadevan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi All Tirivilwamalavasis. The blog of Prasad is very interesting and fascinating especially when the person belongs to the village and away from there. My name is Mohan K. Ponnath and presently working in Saudi Arabia. I already constructed my home at the heart of Tiruvilwamala, house named "GANGOTHRI" enroute between Chungam and T'Mala High School. Though I am away from my place for quite so many years, but the beauty of the place and memories of my village never, ever kept me away and therefore I am goting to settle down at my own place. I prefer we should have a list of members, wherein we can make a e-mail group of all Tiruvilwamala nivasis staying outside the place. My e-mail is mohan_ponnath@yahoo.com. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hii
    i poped into this blog by mistake but trust me your style of writing is really amazing.....
    pooja
    pooja2811orama@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good. Like VKN (Vaikkanum Kelkkanum Nallath) Eni kanan koodi tharayal kshayi...

    Eeyideyai thekkan kadannu kayattavum, Videsa maraneerum Swairam keduthunnundonu samsayam. kachittu erakkanum vayya, madurichittu thuppanum vayya.chungam valarunu; vallathe. eni panthalikkye vaendu.... Amara Vithu karuthuka...!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice... it sounds exciting aftr reading dis.. hav visited kerela once n beleive me jst luv'd d place... greenary n beatiful scenary is wat i lik d most... evn beaches...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this interesting information here. Great post. And I agree with you that it is really hardly to find a student who enjoys executing college assignments. All these processes require spending much time and efforts, that is why i recommend all the students use the professional writing service Evolution Writers . Good luck.

    ReplyDelete