Thursday, May 19, 2005

Questioning the history......

I know most of you would understand jus by seeing the title what this post is about, cos I believe most of u would have read "Da Vinci Code". In one of the chapters, I read an interesting point made by Dan Brown... when Teabing tells Sophie that the history is written by the winners... and its mostly one-sided...

Here is the exact extract from the book... Teabing says this to Sophie....

Meaning that history is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books - books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napolean once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon?' He smiled. "By its very nature, history is always a one-sided account.


When I read that statement, I started to think.... how things would have been in the eyes of a loser. I too felt there might be some cases where they would glorify themselves jus for the sake of a name in the history. I don't say that the entire history whatever we've read till now is wrong. But, there might be facts in each and every history that are either hidden or exaggerated to a greater extent.

A really thought provoking statement isn't it. I have a habit of marking some really good quotes that I read in novels or any books... and I immediately marked this one and thought I'd blog it, so that I can know what others feel abt this...

I read some great quotes in the books "Love Story" and "Doctors" by Eric Seagal... might be I'll write those in another post... Both are great books...

1 comment:

  1. what page of the book is the quote on? i'd like to find it in its context. thank you.

    ReplyDelete